Monday, May 2, 2011

Green Curry

Tonight I made this for dinner. Eric ate his with no comments. I was thinking to myself that he must not like it as much as I was enjoying it. After he cleaned his plate he said, "what is this?" I told him and he proceeded to tell me that it was really tasty! I told him that I was wondering if he didn't like it since he didn't say a word while eating. He said "exactly, that's why my plate is completely clean." Anyway, if you like curry, you're sure to like this. It is a milder curry, and would be wonderful served with naan. Sadly I started dinner to late to make the naan tonight.

This makes a lot of curry (6-8 servings). Unless you are planning to share or want to freeze the leftovers, you may want to half the recipe.

3 Tbsp green curry paste
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans coconut milk (light or full fat)
1/2 tsp ginger (you can use fresh, I just used the powder)
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp brown sugar (packed)
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, sliced thin
2 large chicken breasts sliced VERY thin (I used partially thawed chicken from the freezer. It was really easy to slice thin)
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
2-3 carrots, peeled, sliced
1-2 Tbsp (heaping) peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
1/2 c peanuts, chopped
Red pepper, to taste
Jasmine rice, cooked

Heat vegetable oil in a large (the largest you have, this makes a LOT) saucepan over medium heat. Stir in curry paste; cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes (you may want your range fan on or a window open, it can get pretty strong). Add 1 can coconut milk and stir until well blended. Add ginger, cilantro, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and Worcestershire, bring to a boil. Add onion and chicken then reduce to a simmer. When chicken is white and cooked through (about 5 min or so) add another can of coconut milk and bring back to a boil. Add remaining ingredients (except for the rice) and stir until everything is well mixed. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes--until potatoes aren't crunchy in the middle. Serve hot over Jasmine rice.

No comments: