Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sausages with Sauerkraut and Potatoes

My sister in law gave me a copy of this months "Real Simple" magazine and there are some really great slow cooker recipes. I've made recipes from the magazine for the past 3 days. I love slow cooker recipes because you can get them going in the a.m. and have everything cleaned up and ready to eat come dinner time!

This recipe is very German. I love German food so I thought it was fantastic, Eric and the kids ate good portions of it and liked it (mostly the brats and toast.)

In a 4 - 6 qt slow cooker, mix together:
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes (halved if large)
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 small onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp caraway seeds
salt and pepper

Nestle in vegetable mix:
1 1/2 lbs bratwurst links

Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, on low for 7 - 8 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours.

Sprinkle bratwurst, potatoes, and sauerkraut with 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf (italian) parsley (I didn't do this because I forgot)

Serve with:
Toasted pumpernickel or rye (we chose dill rye) with butter and whole grain mustard for toast and brats.

No comments: