Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

While grocery shopping yesterday I saw that the blueberries were on sale. I decided to pick up two packages of them, one for a delicious batch of fresh blueberry muffins, and one to snack on. Sadly while unloading my shopping cart at the check out line, one of the containers wasn't shut tightly and I lost 1/2 to the floor. Sad day. Comically enough, I forgot about the spilt berries until I was paying and I looked back at the lady behind me in line as she stepped on a few of the berries and looked grotesquely down at her berry lathered shoes. Oops.

These muffins made up for my loss of blueberries. They are so good, and the topping can't be left off, it is so crispy and sweet, and the perfect compliment to the moist muffin that contains a slightly tart berry inside.

Recipe from Marie Green

1 1/2 cups flour

3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)

Topping:

1/2 cup white sugar (or brown)
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tin.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups evenly.

To make crumb topping:
mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (I baked mine for 19 minutes)

No comments: